Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast

Thread: What Game Are You Currently Playing?

Having another go at 'Tomb Raider 2013'. It's my 4th playthrough and of the other 3 I only completed 2. First one was, obviously, the first play. 2nd was to get 100% completion on skills, challenges, and treasures and whatnot. I had to abandon that one after completing the campaign when I encountered some kind of bug which did not spawn the very last mine I needed to complete "Minesweeper" on a return trip to Shipwreck Beach. I checked the strategy guide and vids on YouTube and it was never where it should have been. Very frustrating, as it was the last challenge I needed to get 100% clear. 3rd attempt was to go for 100% again, but I got distracted by other games and left it alone. So I'm starting from scratch again today.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldierLTE View Post
    Let me know how it is. I've been heavily thinking of picking it up as well, but as you said there were so many negative things said about it when it came out. It does look very cool indeed.
    Well.. the credits just rolled of my screen. I must say I have an incredible hard time to understand one thing: Why do people hate this game again? Was is a low frame rate? No. The game ran smooth at all times. Was it the story? What's to hate about an Aliens tie-in set partially during and after Aliens? Perhaps it was the gameplay. No, can't be. Blasting different kinds of Xenos to heck was really fun with all the familiar weapons. (Pulse rifle sound effect!)

Is there something obvious I missed, because I think this is an amazing game! I'm not a big fan of FPS, but this game was executed very well. The characters were very likeable. There’s O’Neil who is hard on the outside but rather soft on the inside. There’s Bella who always cheering up the situations. Reid who might seem like a witch, but turns out to be quite the arse kicker. We have Cruz who might seem bossy, but he’s your best friend. And of course there is you: Winter. A first person shooter game with a main character that has personality. Actual personality. The wonders haven’t left the world. I especially love how the cut scenes are 3rd person and you get to see Winter’s face.

I find the story is very Alien’y. You get to walk LV-426 yourself. Keep a close eye on your motion tracker, cause there’s Xenos anywhere and everywhere. There’s this one level where you have lost all your weapons and your stuck in the bottom of a base with shallow water. All around you are Xeno husks. But! There’s some alive in there. Don’t you make a sound or one of those, supposed husks, will get up and come look for you. That was some intense gameplay! I don’t wanna say to much about the story, because it might just spoil everything. But believe me when I say I rather enjoyed it!

So yeah. I love this game. Probably not the last time I play it!

''It blows my mind; you can really feel the mass effect.'' - Camilla Luddington

^^^ Right then, I respect and trust your opinion so now I know what to load up in my shopping cart next time I'm out. Good to hear it's good and worth it.
    signature image

^^^ Right then, I respect and trust your opinion so now I know what to load up in my shopping cart next time I'm out. Good to hear it's good and worth it.
    Can't be too expensive now right? I only had to lay down €7,50 ($9,27 USD).

Nope. It's been in the bargain bin at a lot of stores for months now. I'll get a copy later today I'm sure.
    signature image

Jumping both feet first into Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth. Starting playing at the beginning of my shift and before I knew it my 3DS battery was done for the day. Loving this dungeon crawler! I love that they included a map screen that I am supposed to fill in as I play so I don't get lost in the maze. Plus it helps that I'm doing it with the investigation team from Persona 4, a group I have as much affection for as my Normandy crew in Mass Effect. I never played Persona 3, but I may after this is done. What better way to get introduced to those characters than through the Persona crew I love's eyes.

As per usual for this series, the opening for this Persona game is weaponized feel good.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Nope. It's been in the bargain bin at a lot of stores for months now. I'll get a copy later today I'm sure.
    I think any Alien fan can at least appreciate. But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleDazeem View Post
    I think any Alien fan can at least appreciate. But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. ;P
    Yeah, as an Alien fan I hate it. It's story is like bad fan fiction, contains so many conflicting errors with the movies, it was bugged to hell when it launched n top of being a mess mechanically, and they're marketing was so overtly mendacious about the final game's quality that the publisher ended up suing the developer.

The game was a hot mess at launch and a veritable PR train wreck after launch.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Good to see someone else's opinion on this.
    Peronally I felt like the story wasn't something that needed to be told, but I welcomed the setting and characters it featured. There were some moments I thought ''Wait, that can't be right'', but quickly dimissed them.
    It's not like Star Wars games where each instalment adds something to the whole. But I still like the idea of walking through some of the key places in Aliens myself. It's more of a personal quest than something that expands the universe, but I still liked it as a whole. Mostly because the characters hit me just right.

I heard a few things about the trial here and there. Was that Colonial Marines undoing? I was going in with the expectation it was a horrible game, while people back then bought it for the full price, expecting something great, and got something less of a blast.

But buggy? I've played it on the PS3. It never froze, I didn't get stuck in walls or anything like that. I encountered one minor thing. Sometimes squardmates have colliders and sometimes they don't. I'm not sure what the original intention was.

The game was heavily patched on release. When it launched, you'd have Aliens explode at random, get stuck in walls, Marines would block doorways, etcetera. It was a hot freaking mess when it launched, one that makes recent "criticized for being buggy" releases like Unity and Halo: MCC look like polished diamonds.

It was a horror show.

It's not like Star Wars games where each instalment adds something to the whole...
    Except the events of the game were being advertised as canonical in the universe prior to release.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Patched? I don't have an internet connection on my PS3 so I couldn't have got one...right?

I'm pretty sure it's indeed canon. But for example... I don't know, let's say Star Wars: The Force Unleashed explains certain things about the universe (and the movies) as a whole. Like an expansion. But Aliens: CM is set father away from the events happening in the movie. It's more of an expansion on the marines. Just the Marines. Then again, that's how I felt about it.

'Tomb Raider: Anniversary'. Enjoying doing some Time Trials. Next on the list is my most recent purchase: 'Aliens: Colonial Marines'. I was wanting to play it when I got it, but I'm gonna get the updates from PSN first. Seems to be a battle of it's own right. The Wi-Fi keeps cutting out on me halfway through the update (it's a big one with a 20 minute download) every time I try. I'll get it some time tho...

EDIT: The wi-fi held up for the duration when I tried it again literally after I first posted this. Who says a bit of Hadley's Hope never pays off? Hopefully I'll be squeezing the trigger of a smart gun this weekend. Hard to say, tho. That time trial for "St. Francis' Folly" is always a crucible...
    Last edited by WinterSoldierLTE; 12th Dec 2014 at 02:20.
    signature image

Neat, you got it! Have fun
    I wonder if I got lucky not encountering any bugs or glitches during my playthrough or that maybe the PS3 version is more stable than others.

I myself just beat Temple of Osiris. Time to do some challenges!

Bouncing back and forth between 'Colonial Marines' (of which I got a real kick out of firing up and finding out the main character's name is "Winter". That was cool.) & treasure hunting in 'TR: Underworld', which is tedious without a guide.
    Last edited by WinterSoldierLTE; 21st Dec 2014 at 22:27.
    signature image

I only interested in play prototype

Bouncing back and forth between 'Colonial Marines' (of which I got a real kick out of firing up and finding out the main character's name is "Winter". That was cool.) & treasure hunting in 'TR: Underworld', which is tedious without a guide.
    Ah, right. Must be pretty awesome! How do you like the game so far?

Ah, right. Must be pretty awesome! How do you like the game so far?
    It's ok. I think it nailed the "AlienS" vibe. I don't do so good when an Alien jumps on me and it cuts to a QTE. It always catches me off guard and I lose more than I win at them. I'm doing bad at it, actually, as far as my playing goes. It's been awhile since I've played an FPS so I'm rusty (I'm not counting 'Isolation' as a shooter 'cos to me it's not). Or I just naturally suck at shooters. I'm not far into it, only the 2nd level but so far, it's ok.

Do you ever get a chance to carry health packs or do you constantly have to search for health pickups?
    signature image

Exactly. The AlienS feel is definitely there. Glady ou're enjoying it so far!

Nope. You need to pick them up as you go.

Taking Persona Q with me to Canada for Christmas. Debating bringing the Vita as well..
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Going after the "100 Times Too Many" trophy in 'Alien: Isolation". It's actually pretty fun making a ton of noise then playing chicken with it. I've actually startled it a few times doing it. It'll pop out of a vent, see me running at it, scream, then shoot back up into the vent. Doesn't work all the time tho.
    signature image

I did get a new game finally! And against my better judgement I picked up a (gasp!) first person shooter. Farcry4. I've been enjoying it, only at 22% now. There is A LOT of stuff to do in the game, I'll probably get tired of it before doing all the missions and discovering all the stuff. But right now I'm having fun. it's not too bad with the motion sickness thing...except when driving vehicles! HOLYCRAP that kills me, all that goofy motion! I'm getting sick just watching this video
    signature image
    You just gotta be right this time!

I've been stuck in bed ill the last couple of days with nothing to do but moan, drink water, and make chicken noodle soup. It's left me plenty of time to spend with 'Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker' which I'd played about 7-8 months ago but couldn't get in to. After a few hours with it yesterday and a couple more today, I'm finally digging it. I like the short 10 minute episodic-type structure of the main levels and I really dig the variety of the side missions.

What turned me off about it initially was the way you upgrade weapons and health items and whatnot. At first it seemed too complex for a 'Metal Gear' game, but now that I understand it a lot more it's pretty simple and makes a lot of sense. It's still very bizarre how the structure of unlocking some of the upgrades, newer weapons, and side mission is tho. You have to complete certain missions in a particular order sometimes, and without hitting up an online guide I'd have never figured that out. Why so cryptic, Kojima?

Also having spent some more time with it and going back and watching news clips about 'Metal Gear 5' has pretty much informed me about what 'Metal Gear 5' will be like gameplay wise: The exact same. Well, maybe 75% the same, after all they've not yet released all details about '5', but more or less exact from what I've compared my notes to. And 'Ground Zeroes' makes a lot more sense now when it comes to who certain characters are and why I should or shouldn't care about them.

Pretty good game tho. There's definitely worse games to pass the time with.
    signature image

'Silent Hill 2'. Not sure but I think it could possibly be my 13th playthrough of it. It's still a great game. Playing on the "HD Collection", um, collection for the first time and I gotta admit I don't see why it got so much hate when that collection first came out. I get the anger over replacing the original voice actors (that is B.S., but the option is there to play with the original voices ), but I'm almost to the Lakeview Hotel and I've yet to encounter any kind of bug, trippy graphical errors, or game freezes. And I have not updated it.

But the audio isn't mixed right. Sometimes the background music is so loud even on the lowest volume setting for it that I still can't hear the dialogue in cutscenes, and some sound effects are swapped around or the pitch of them is changed. Which can be comical at times. Especially when you do a quick turn around while standing in a puddle of water. Sounds way more powerful then it should. And hilarious.

Brookhaven hospital still gives me the creeps tho. The sound design and lighting of that area is fantastic. Such a frightening stage to play with all the lights off in the room.
    signature image

'Dead Space 2'. Having a go at "Hardcore" mode which only lets you save twice, and if you die you have to reload from your last save, and you have to start an all new game on that setting so your inventory doesn't carry over from your new game + saved file. It took me 4 tries just to get past the very first 5 minutes of the game because during those 5 minutes you're unarmed and can only take 2 hits before you die. Should be interesting.
    signature image

I'm still having fun in Farcry4, I'm about 50%
    signature image
    You just gotta be right this time!

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast